[sword-devel] GPL and other license related questions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 16:21:35 MST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Jason Galyon wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>> On Jan 26, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Jason Galyon wrote:
>>

>>> am I forced to
>>> use GPL for both the server and the client or would this just be the
>>> server since it interfaces directly with a sword based lib/app?
>>>

>> Only the server for the reason you stated. This is a fundamental
>> loophole/flaw in the GPL.
>>
>> That said, our desire is that the Sword library not be used in a
>> commercial endeavor, directly or indirectly. Protecting this has
>> helped us in negotiations with content providers.
>>

> and that will be honored
>
> the inquiry was to find out what was possible, looks like I have an
> answer for that and what the concerns are
>
> Thanks for your insight.
>
> Would it offend if a client application was written in another OSI
> approved license?  This would not open up sword for commercial use as
> far as I can see.

If you pick on that is compatible with GPL v2, then it's not likely.
In that case, perhaps a dual license with the GPL would be
appropriate. But, if it is incompatible, then it may. Let us know what
you think is best and discuss it here.

As Chris said,
> The fact is, our license has never been a hinderance to legitimate
> development interests, to my knowledge. That is to say, it's never
> prevented the development of anything due to a license conflict. If it
> were to do so, I'm sure we would consider special exceptions.

Our other desire is that everyone that gets benefit from Sword in the
development of an application also contribute back to the project.

Serving Him,
	DM