[sword-devel] How to get vowels in the Arabic bible module?

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:15:44 MST 2008

Peter wrote:

> I do not know how to export or import from esword.

Exporting the text is not an issue.  Several tools are available to do that.

 The _big_ issue is that the plain text./XML formatting  needs both
proof reading, and copy editing, prior to import into the TSP
resource.

If one is not fluent in the target language, my recommendation is to
not attempt the format shifting.

> But I think the general principle here is to start from the original e-text and not from someone else's modules for other software.

+1

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were textual errors in the
e-Sword version. (I have found textual differences between the hard
copy and e-Sword resource,  in most of  the non-European,non-Biblical
languages I can read.)

> Otherwise  you tend to get a Chinese whisper effect of transmission errors.

A couple of years ago I read an essay on Bible Study software, and
where the source material came from.  The telltales added by the
different programs, resulted in identifiable "textual families".
These "families" tended to correlate with the rise and fall of
specific organizations that produced the software.

> So the best source  would then be the word files. But that could be very hard work.

Word -> OSIS -> Sword Project Resource
Grunt work, but fairly easy to do.  Unfortunately, a script won't
correctly process the material.

xan

jonathon