[sword-devel] Reusing modules?

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Wed Jan 9 09:17:49 MST 2008

I've been trying to find a bible study program that really fits me
well and I'm having a hard time with that. Bible Desktop is great, but
it doesn't work very well on my OS X Leopard system. The text gets
corrupted when I scroll (I don't know if it's a bug with Apple's JDK
or the program), so it's a pain to use. Other programs are Win-only
and I do have VMWare, so I could run them, but I hate to boot up my
Windows VM unless I absolutely have to. :) Logos looks interesting
(from the screenshots), but kind of pricey and I want a different
interface (what would be so hard about making a tree in the left pane,
just like Mail or Thunderbird?). I've looked into writing my own, but
I'm pretty much a one-trick pony. I'm a web developer and that's what
I know. I've tried learning Objective-C/C++ because I've dabbled in
normal C/C++ some, but that requires you to think in a different way
and my early attempts at creating my own Mac Bible Study program have
not met with much success. I'd rather not use Java because I'm a
server-side Java programmer and haven't done hardly any GUI work in
Java.

So what I thought I could do is write an Adobe AIR application. That's
using technology that I already know and already have development
tools for. The only problem with that approach is that you can't
extend the AIR runtime with native plugins or anything. I can open
native files, though, so I could potentially open converted modules.
Or I could use one of the bindings and write a web-based program that
basically converts the SWORD modules into a format that I could
download and insert into AIR's SQLite internal database. I like this
latter approach, as it would integrate very nicely with Adobe AIR. The
goal is to make an application that works offline. I don't want to
have to have a connection because, if I was to use it at church, for
example, we don't have wireless or internet access.

But can I do that? I could probably do that for myself, but what if I
redistributed the application? Can I redistribute modules in a
different form? What modules would be off limits? I like using the
ESV. I've pretty much used the NIV in print for a long time, but I
haven't installed Accordance on my Intel Mac (which was the
application I had that had an electronic NIV version). What are the
restrictions on using a SWORD module in a web-based (or web-enabled)
application?

Thanks for the info!

Jon Brisbin
http://jbrisbin.com