[sword-devel] BibleCS and Farsi

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 17:21:17 MST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Chris Little wrote:

> peter wrote:
>> Having finally had a chance to look at the new version of BibleCS and
>> the FarsiOPV module two problems come to light:
>
> Which version is that, exactly? 1.5.10pre4? (This version number will
> appear as 1.5.10.4 if you check the file properties in Windows.)
>
> Just to let you know, I'm using WinXP (SP2), but results should hold
> identically for NT, 2K & Vista. I don't have 9x any longer, so I can't
> test that, and really don't have the ability to assist in supporting
> 95/98/98SE/ME very properly.

I have a laptop with Windows 98SE. Let me know if you need me to test
it. I only have it for this purpose.

But I'd like to suggest that we only support OSes that are currently
supported. For example Win98 and ME were desupported the middle of
last year. From a practical perspective that means that I cannot do an
install and then update it with security patches. If a user needs a
workable program they can rely on a prior release that was supported.

>> 1) the letters are not ligated ("glyph shaping") This works fine in
>> Arabic which uses a very similar script - largely same looking
>> letters
>> but different unicode range.
>
> Arabic & Farsi are both definitely shaped and ligated.

I only have a modest level of experience here. From what I recall, the
ligation of Arabic is not an issue. As a script Farsi is a superset of
Arabic. IIRC, the problem is with the ligation and shaping of those
"super" characters.

>> 2) The text is left bound, but should be right bound. The Arabic
>> module
>> is right bound.
>
> Arabic & Farsi are both right justified. This was fixed in one of the
> recent pre-releases, making me think you're not using the latest
> version.
>
>> This is on Wine on Linux. I will in the next couple of days have a
>> look
>> at the programme on Win200 and WinXP.
>
> Wine is definitely not a platform we have tried to support. Do you
> know
> whether it mimics 9x or NT? I would hope it correctly reports version
> numbers that correspond to whichever it emulates.

A better environment than Wine is to use VMWare player. IIRC, it was
free. I use Parallels on the Mac for the same.