[sword-devel] Open source German Volxbibel

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Dec 28 08:27:26 MST 2008

Tonny Kohar wrote:

> Sorry if it is seems like dumb questions, what is the difference
> between translation vs paraphrases ?
> Is it correct to assume;
> - translation is from one language to another language
> - paraphrase is from one language to the same language using different wording
> ?

There is no specific technical definition in this context. It just means
that translation is very loose and uses thoughts or ideas rather than
words and sentences as the source. It tries to "tell it in its own
words". Needless to say, this leads to loosing original nuances and
often distorting the original ideas. It's a continuum:

Interlinear word-for-word (no grammar translated) -> word-for-word but
grammar translated (NASB)-> "essentially literal" (ESV) -> dynamic but
still quite literal (NIV, NET etc.) -> dynamic (NLT) -> paraphrase
(Message) -> culturally translated paraphrase (Cotton Patch)

"Nor do people put new tubes in old, bald tires. If they do the tires
will blow out, and the tubes will be ruined and the tires will be torn
up. But they put new tubes in new tires and both give good mileage."
  --Matthew 9:17, Cotton Patch Version

And remember that this is only my definition. Someone else may disagree.

--Eeli Kaikkonen