[sword-devel] Open source German Volxbibel

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Dec 28 08:07:12 MST 2008

Tonny Kohar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Paraphrase is a better term than translation and any "about" should
>> reflect this. It is no translation. But we do have other paraphrases,
>> and they do have their place.
>
> Sorry if it is seems like dumb questions, what is the difference
> between translation vs paraphrases ?

A paraphrase is a translation on the dynamic equivalency side of the
formal/dynamic scale. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_version_debate#Types_of_translation

I disagree with this portion of this Wikipedia article on technical
grounds, but I think the spirit of the article is correct: formal
equivalency sits on one end of a scale and dynamic equivalency sits on
the other--and paraphrases sit on the dynamic end.

> Is it correct to assume;
> - translation is from one language to another language
> - paraphrase is from one language to the same language using different wording
> ?

In this case, a paraphrase is a type of translation. That's not to say
that one could not paraphrase from a language into itself, but I don't
believe that is the case with the VolxBibel and I don't believe that was
the point Peter was trying to make.

> If the above assumption are corrects, how about the legality of
> paraphrase if based on the copyrighted works aka paraphrased copyright
> works ?

Such a paraphrase would be a derivative work and thus the copyright
would be owned by both the owner of the original work and the owner of
the paraphrase, provided that the paraphrase was produced with
permission. If it was not produced with permission, then it would just
be a violation of the copyright of the original work.

--Chris