[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 22:15:45 MST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Matthew Talbert <ransom1982 at gmail.com>wrote:

> > 2) $APPDATA\Sword (preferred location)
> > 3) $HOME\.sword (this needs to be deprecated under windows in favour of
> the above - and it needs engine support added to look for the above)
> GS uses this now, but would use 2) if engine support was added.
> GS uses ALLUSERSPROFILE\.sword, but we could probably change to Sword

Under windows, there shouldn't be pathnames starting with ".". That is a
unix thing. This needs to be changed in the engine, as well.

> > and maybe (under Vista, anyway - but not sure what the function of
> $PUBLIC is meant to be)
> > 5) $PUBLIC\Sword
> >
> > The last two are very likely to be read only under Vista at least; I
> don't think there is any central directory where all users can write to.
> I don't know about $PUBLIC but under XP and Vista, ALLUSERSPROFILE is
> writable by both normal user and administrator on my systems (although
> I was previously under the impression that it wasn't writable on
> Vista).

Digging deeper into the permissions, users can do almost anything to public,
but not delete from ALLUSERSPROFILE. I'm not sure which of those is best.

God Bless,
Multitudes, multitudes,
   in the valley of decision!
For the day of the LORD is near