[sword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 2.1-beta2 released

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 02:09:00 MST 2008

Daniel Owens wrote:
> Aren't the translations released under the same license as jsword, which
> means you don't need to ask permission? I mean, unless the translators
> made some effort to apply a different license the contributed
> translation is under the same open source license as the rest of the
> code, right? Not a lawyer myself, but it makes sense to me.

yes, but Tonny is using GPL code (the translations) within a non-GPL
application.

All translations within JSword are accessible to him without problem -
as JSword is under the LGPL.

But the existing BD frontend is licensed in a fashion that incorporating
into a public domain programme would not be acceptable.

If AlKitab as a programme was not licensed as PD, but under the GPL
(while Tonny's contributions (99% of the programe text) were separately
set as PD the matter were simpler. He could use the stuff without
further asking.

Peter