[sword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 2.1-beta2 released

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 02:21:59 MST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Daniel Owens wrote:
>> Aren't the translations released under the same license as jsword, which
>> means you don't need to ask permission? I mean, unless the translators
>> made some effort to apply a different license the contributed
>> translation is under the same open source license as the rest of the
>> code, right? Not a lawyer myself, but it makes sense to me.
>
> yes, but Tonny is using GPL code (the translations) within a non-GPL
> application.
>
> All translations within JSword are accessible to him without problem -
> as JSword is under the LGPL.
>
> But the existing BD frontend is licensed in a fashion that incorporating
> into a public domain programme would not be acceptable.

Yes, exactly as Peter said it is license problem (Alkitab is Public
Domain, BD is GPL).
I am not lawyer either, just software developer. And to do that
legally I need the permission from the copyright owner.

note: please do not turn this discussion into license flame wars. We
are all servant of HIM.

To Peter:
thanks for the info regarding the german and chinese translation, I
will try to search (using google, is there any better ways) in
crosswire/jsword mailing list archive and try to identify those person
and contact them regarding permission to use their localization. Hope
I could find them and get their blessing to use their localization
text in Alkitab Bible Study.

> If AlKitab as a programme was not licensed as PD, but under the GPL
> (while Tonny's contributions (99% of the programe text) were separately
> set as PD the matter were simpler. He could use the stuff without
> further asking.

Hmm, this is quite interesting way to do that legally. I will think
regarding the possibility of this approach.

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Alkitab Bible Study