[sword-devel] CrossWire website up and running

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:36:29 MST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:04 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> David Haslam wrote:
>> Why do we have things like this in the middle of sentences?
>>
>> " Bible Technologies Conference (http://www.bibletechnologies.org) "
>>
>> rather than a properly named external link with a hidden URL?
>>
>> "  http://www.bibletechnologies.org/ Bible Technologies Conference  "
>>
>> The URL would show in the browser status bar when the mouse is over it.
>>
>> These sort of things abound in the site, and also in the wiki. It makes some
>> of the pages look rather 1990s. Do we think people often print webpages? Was
>> that the original reason?
>
> On my Mac, running Safari, I don't have a status bar. I have to hover to
> get the URL, if the tag does not have alternate text (not sure if it is
> the alt or title attribute). It probably is some kind of preference that
> I have never bothered to look for.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on whether to show the URL.

I don't see that it is important to show the URL.  Someone who really
cares what URL they are going to will find out some way to check
(whether with a status bar or something else), while the majority just
assume that you as the website creator know what you are doing when
you link to an external site, and that they can trust that it is the
right site.  It looks much neater without the URL.

Jon