[sword-devel] Compiling SWORD API using MinGW

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 13:49:44 MST 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Chris Little wrote:
>> Ultimately, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to get GnomeSword (maybe
>> even
>> BibleTime?) building on/for Win32 in a way that it can be distributed
>> binary-only in a minimal way (that is, without a huge Cygwin
>> install).
>>
>> --Chris
>
> It would be good if you succeeded but I wonder if that is possible. GS
> depends on Gnome libraries and BT depends on KDE libraries. At least
> BT
> can not be linked statically. You have to distribute the KDE libraries
> with BT, and I don't know if KDE has ever worked with Windows/
> Cygwin. I
> guess BT and GS both need the basic Cygwin installation anyways.

Karl has built GnomeSword under Cygwin to run on Windows.

I think clucene was the only outstanding matter.

The following gives the threads on the matter:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:crosswire.org+sword-devel+GnomeSword+cygwin

> With BT the future is different, we are aiming at Qt-only dependency
> and
> native binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows. I wouldn't put much
> foreign
> platform effort in KDE-based BT right now. The future KDE 4.1 should
> work under Windows without Cygwin, so it could be possible to
> compile BT
> "natively" under Windows even before we get rid of the KDE dependency.
>
> My personal feeling/estimation is that the Qt-only BT release
> happens at
> the end of this year. Of course it depends on the time which the
> developers (ATM I and Martin) can put into it. I hope my estimation is
> too pessimistic.

I am looking forward to this! Thanks for the prayer request!

In Him,
	DM