[sword-devel] Compiling SWORD API using MinGW

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Apr 6 11:03:49 MST 2008

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Chris Little wrote:
> Ultimately, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to get GnomeSword (maybe even
> BibleTime?) building on/for Win32 in a way that it can be distributed
> binary-only in a minimal way (that is, without a huge Cygwin install).
>
> --Chris

It would be good if you succeeded but I wonder if that is possible. GS
depends on Gnome libraries and BT depends on KDE libraries. At least BT
can not be linked statically. You have to distribute the KDE libraries
with BT, and I don't know if KDE has ever worked with Windows/Cygwin. I
guess BT and GS both need the basic Cygwin installation anyways.

With BT the future is different, we are aiming at Qt-only dependency and
native binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows. I wouldn't put much foreign
platform effort in KDE-based BT right now. The future KDE 4.1 should
work under Windows without Cygwin, so it could be possible to compile BT
"natively" under Windows even before we get rid of the KDE dependency.

My personal feeling/estimation is that the Qt-only BT release happens at
the end of this year. Of course it depends on the time which the
developers (ATM I and Martin) can put into it. I hope my estimation is
too pessimistic.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland