[sword-devel] Compiling SWORD API using MinGW

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Apr 6 14:20:06 MST 2008

DM Smith wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Chris Little wrote:
>>> Ultimately, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to get GnomeSword (maybe
>>> even
>>> BibleTime?) building on/for Win32 in a way that it can be distributed
>>> binary-only in a minimal way (that is, without a huge Cygwin
>>> install).
>>>
>>> --Chris
>> It would be good if you succeeded but I wonder if that is possible. GS
>> depends on Gnome libraries and BT depends on KDE libraries. At least
>> BT
>> can not be linked statically. You have to distribute the KDE libraries
>> with BT, and I don't know if KDE has ever worked with Windows/
>> Cygwin. I
>> guess BT and GS both need the basic Cygwin installation anyways.
>
> Karl has built GnomeSword under Cygwin to run on Windows.
>
> I think clucene was the only outstanding matter.
>
> The following gives the threads on the matter:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=site:crosswire.org+sword-devel+GnomeSword+cygwin

GTK apps on Windows are fairly common and I suspect it should be
possible to build most of them under MinGW. (Gimp & Gaim are the top two
  that come to mind.) GNOME & GTKHTML are also ported to compile under
MinGW. How easy it will be to build an unported app like GnomeSword I
don't know. I also don't know how large the binaries (with all those
dependencies) will ultimately be.

BT is certainly far less likely to build in Windows using MinGW. I
haven't searched much, since I think GS will be a path of far less
resistence, but I don't believe KDE has even been ported to compile
under MinGW. (As with GS, I'm really not interested in Cygwin builds, so
Cygwin/KDE isn't something I'm interested in.)

--Chris