[sword-devel] New development on Mac

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 9 03:42:58 MST 2007

Am 09.09.2007 um 01:35 schrieb Michael Zappe:

> In thinking, pretty far.  In implementing, not quite so far.
>
> My dream is to have a nice Mac application which would handle
> interlinear/parallel display, and have some parsing functionality to
> help with original language study.  (I'm a big fan of Greek and
> Hebrew.)

MacSword did that although the strong numbers were integrated between
the text and made reading quite difficult.
I thought about a small floating window/panel that shows footnotes/
strongs/any other things that the text is tagged with a bit like
GnomeSword or Accordance does it.

> A lot of what I've played with is in indexing the back end,
> so that users could find stems, etc. in the Greek text.
> Unfortunately I never quite got to a level where anything was
> cohesive.

The search engine of MacSword did that quite well I think. The
Hesychius GenBook or strong lexicons were searchable.

> Note taking is also big with me.

Yep. Not only notes, also commentaries and genbooks.

> I also started playing with integrating the SWORD library with the
> Cocoa text system.  The text system in Cocoa is very nice, and it
> would be nice to be able to use it natively using the attribute
> system to reference back into the database.

The Cocoa text system is strong, right.
But I think I did not fully understand what you have in mind.
I would like to see text rendering much easier than in MacSword. No
tables, no css.
Simple but effective. Using WebKit, words that are tagged in some way
throw events when the mouse curser moves over them (like links).
Using Cocoa text system the mouse possition would need to be tracked
to have the same functionality.

> Spotlight integration would also /rock/.

We will have Spotlight integration. We have SearchKit indexing
already. We just need to create a Spotlight plugin.
I think this is not that difficult.

Regards,
Manfred