[sword-devel] New development on Mac

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 9 03:24:33 MST 2007

Am 09.09.2007 um 11:56 schrieb Eeli Kaikkonen:

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Michael Zappe wrote:
>
>> In thinking, pretty far.  In implementing, not quite so far.
>>
>> My dream is to have a nice Mac application which would handle
>> interlinear/parallel display, and have some parsing functionality to
>> help with original language study.  (I'm a big fan of Greek and
>> Hebrew.)  A lot of what I've played with is in indexing the back end,
>> so that users could find stems, etc. in the Greek text.
>> Unfortunately I never quite got to a level where anything was
>> cohesive.
>
> I suggest you look at some existing apps. BibleTime does parallel
> display using ordinary html tables and it has worked well. Indexing
> works also and you can search for Strong's etc. Troy have suggested
> using the clucene implementation which already has been integrated
> into
> the Sword library. Maybe the problem is that it is not well
> documented?

The current version of MacSword uses Apple SearchKit framework as
indexing engine which is the base of Spotlight.
I would not change very much here except indexing more of Greek or
Hebrew so searching is possible although strongs go into the index
already.
This will also be part of the new application but with Spotlight
support which only possible for Mac OSX Tiger and above.

> Is there any possibility that you could use WebKit as the display
> renderer? It could be a huge step forward to have common display
> technology between the projects.

MacSword already used WebKit for the display and also used html
tables for parallel view.
But to be honest I'm not very happy with using html tables for this.
I would more like to see split views which sync in scrolling.

Regards,
Manfred