[sword-devel] .conf files encoding/tags

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 20:33:27 MST 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Chris Little wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>> There are many fields that have non-ascii. Some are UTF-8 and some
>> are latin-1. It does not seem to correspond to the Encoding= field.
>> If you wish me to enumerate them, I'll look.
>
> Ok, that should definitely be fixed. If you have the time, please feel
> free to find the errors, otherwise I'll take a look at it after .10.

I don't think this needs to hold up .10 as it has been the problem
for a while now.

I'll look into it.

>> In the conf, there are other rtf codes such as \b and \i. I can
>> enumerate all the exceptions to \par,\pard,\qc and \uxxxxx, if you
>> wish. The only modules that have the \u codes are for utf-8 modules.
>> The jsp code that displays the confs on the website are relatively
>> braindead and only handle a few codes. The rest, such as \u show up
>> uninterpreted.
>
> Ok, we can check through all the Abouts and make sure that the RTFHTML
> filter can handle anything used in them. And I don't think the jsp
> that
> handles that was ever much more than a quick hack, which could
> definitely use some maintenance to repair any deficiencies and maybe
> give users a look more consistent with the rest of the site.

I'll look into this too.

>> Further, a few modules have html in the about field. The <a href="">
>> is only in the short promo at the time.
>
> Those are errors.

I'll enumerate these also.

>> Personally, I don't have a problem with whatever decision is made,
>> but I'd like the conf's to be fixed to be consistent with what ever
>> is/was decided.
>
> Personally, I'd love to see us move to XML .confs, a nice benefit of
> which would be validation when authoring. But we would need to
> maintain
> backwards compatability with the old .confs for a few years/decades.

You said that back in 2005 and I'd love to see it happen. I agree
with that posting that the header of the osis document would make for
a fine replacement.

A simple version number on the conf (e.g. ConfVersion=1.1) could be
used to distinguished between the current confs and the new one. (Or
something else :)