[sword-devel] .conf files encoding/tags
dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 10:39:23 MST 2007
I surveyed *all* the confs for modules available for download on the
For html tags.
As I noted earlier, only the ShortPromo has <a href="">...</a>
The WLC module is the only conf that has other html. It looks like it
is restricted to <p>...</p>.
I also looked for UTF-8 modules with non-ascii, non-utf-8 characters.
It appears that most that do are cp1252.
Two have problems in Description=
The following have problems in About=
I also found that GerNEU (beta) is full of problems. I'm not sure
what's there but I don't think it is either UTF-8 or cp1252. For
example the Description is Ãœbersetzun.
I assume that if we allow UTF-8 in the conf it should be NFC, just
the same as the module.
The beta GerTafel has what looks like a typo in the About (i.e. ...
Apokryphen.² 2. ...) This conf is otherwise UTF-8.
I think there is a typo in the beta TurNTB as there is a name
beginning with a lower case i. (I think this is to be a capital
Turkish 'I' with an accent, which is not found in Latin1.)
I looked at the confs for latin-1 encode modules to see if any had
utf-8. I found one:
There are a lot of Latin-1 encoded modules that have cp1252 in the
conf. I didn't look for these. FinPR would be an example of this,
having a non-ascii in both Description and in About.
I think that FinPR and GerTafel are two test cases representing
latin-1 encoding and utf-8 encoding correctly. We should check these
in the various front-ends to see how they look.
Both look correct in BibleDesktop.
In both Safari and Firefox on Mac:
In His Service,
On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Chris Little wrote:
> DM Smith wrote:
>> There are many fields that have non-ascii. Some are UTF-8 and some
>> are latin-1. It does not seem to correspond to the Encoding= field.
>> If you wish me to enumerate them, I'll look.
> Ok, that should definitely be fixed. If you have the time, please feel
> free to find the errors, otherwise I'll take a look at it after .10.
>> In the conf, there are other rtf codes such as \b and \i. I can
>> enumerate all the exceptions to \par,\pard,\qc and \uxxxxx, if you
>> wish. The only modules that have the \u codes are for utf-8 modules.
>> The jsp code that displays the confs on the website are relatively
>> braindead and only handle a few codes. The rest, such as \u show up
> Ok, we can check through all the Abouts and make sure that the RTFHTML
> filter can handle anything used in them. And I don't think the jsp
> handles that was ever much more than a quick hack, which could
> definitely use some maintenance to repair any deficiencies and maybe
> give users a look more consistent with the rest of the site.
>> Further, a few modules have html in the about field. The <a href="">
>> is only in the short promo at the time.
> Those are errors.
>> Personally, I don't have a problem with whatever decision is made,
>> but I'd like the conf's to be fixed to be consistent with what ever
>> is/was decided.
> Personally, I'd love to see us move to XML .confs, a nice benefit of
> which would be validation when authoring. But we would need to
> backwards compatability with the old .confs for a few years/decades.
> sword-devel mailing list: sword-devel at crosswire.org
> Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at above page
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the sword-devel