[sword-devel] Creation of commentary using osis..

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Fri Feb 2 21:14:43 MST 2007

Pierre Marc Dumuid <pierre.dumuid at adelaide.edu.au> writes:
> I have been using a sed script to auto convert bible reference into
> the format:
> <reference osisRef="Ephesians.1.1">Ephesians 1:1</reference>
> In gnomesword2 (2.2.1) the bible verse shows up as a hyperlink, but
> when clicking on it, the preview doesn't switch to the verse??

I'm a GS developer and project admin. (And heavy user of sed scripts. :-)

Evidently, you are creating the first-ever OSIS-based commentary for
Sword, seen from the result of executing in ~/.sword/mods.d:

grep -l ^ModDrv=.*Com * | xargs grep ^SourceType= | tr -d '\r' | cut -d: -f2 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

So if there's a GS bug in OSIS commentary handling, I suppose I'm not
entirely surprised; there are code paths that have unavoidably never
been executed, due to lack of a resource on which to apply them.  Now
we have yours, so we can deal with this.

Terry (also GS dev & admin) and I will figure out what to do with OSIS
xrefs in commentaries.  Regrets for there being trouble; whatever it
is, we'll deal with it in time for GS 2.2.2 (totally random guess: end
of February, but no specific promises).  We've been at a very rapid
development pace in GS for the last several months and I've no doubt
this can be dealt with promptly.

The continuing prevalence of ThML, and even GBF, over OSIS can be seen via:

grep ^SourceType= * | tr -d '\r' | cut -d: -f2 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

I don't have many dictionaries, but I have most other Sword resources
installed (incl. all Bibles, commentaries, and genbooks), and even
ancient GBF has approx 2.5x the population of OSIS today.

An item on my personal wishlist is a ThML->OSIS convertion tool...

--karl