[sword-devel] Re: Offer help (portuguese module?)

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
Tue May 30 06:14:12 MST 2006

Sergio Queiroz escreveu:

> If we have a list of the missing text and misspellings, we could fix them
> based on public domain Almeida's bibles available on the Internet.

	There isn’t a suitable copy.  Other Almeida versions are either also
infringing copies of Versão Revisada, or other versions already quite
different from it, which would result in a mess while still being
infringing.

> We could start comparing with biblegateway and unbound bible to see if
> they share the same problems, if not, we could correct the module based on
> their text.

	Yes, they do.  They are all based on the same, infringing, corrupt copy
of Versão Revisada.

> If the problems are also there, and the public domain text of
> this passages was lost,

	There was never such a public domain text.

> we can use the microfilm images of public domain
> Almeida's that are available on the internet. On the site
> http://faithofgod.org/Portuguese/1911/ there are the microfilmed images
> from the portuguese "Almeida Revista e Corrigida", from 1911, undoubtedly
> in the public domain.

	Revista e Corrigida from 1911 is indeed the base of Versão Revisada,
but the text has changed substantially.  For example, Corrigida was
still based on Textus Receptus, while Revisada has incorporated the
features of the Majority Text; and several words have changed meaning in
the current Brazilian usage.

> But maybe Crosswire has been working in new versions for portuguese
> modules, and in this case, it would be loosing time to try to correct the
> old Almeida module.
>
> It would be nice to hear from them what is the current status for
> portuguese modules.

	None as far as I know.  PorAA is waiting for IBB to sort out their own
situation and give us a definitive position.

	But I can confirm I have now at least one volunteer to help scanning
Versão Brasileira.  We still need to procure a copy for each volunteer
and check the copy right status of it, but it seems to be a better way
to spend our efforts.  We would have a public domain text of quality on
par with Revisada, and being a more modern text than, say, Corrigida, it
would be a better basis for further revision — for example, it is still
old orthography, so after we get it into OSIS format it would need a
thourough orthographical revision.

	But this will be a multi-year project.

Leandro G Faria Corcete DUTRA       xmpp:leandrod at jabber.org
+55 (11) 5685 2219             Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
+55 (11) 9406 7191     ICQ/AIM: aim:GoIM?screenname=61287803
            MSN: msnim:chat?contact=leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm