[sword-devel] KJV2006 progress report

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 05:28:51 MST 2006

 From the discussions, paragraphs may split a verse, but by and large
contain verses.
Let's assume that a presentation semantic is that:
First paragraphs in a chapter are handled specially, with the verse
number is not emitted and the first letter is made to span the start of
3 lines in a fancy font
Each paragraph is followed by a blank line.
Subsequent paragraphs are indented. followed by the verse number,
appropriately decorated, then the pilcrow, paragraph mark and finally
the verse text.
Also, at the end of each verse, one footnote marker is placed for all
the notes regarding that verse.
(So, in this presentation semantic, paragraph begin and ends are
important and so are verse begin and verse ends)

Given a well-formed, valid OSIS this is relatively easy to do with xslt.

Couple of questions using the following "pseudocode" construct? (leaving
out most attributes)
Purpose of the question is to determine how to transform the good OSIS
into a osis2mod acceptable form using xslt.
Also, it helps determine whether the current KJV paragraph marker is
best positioned at the end of a verse or the beginning of a verse.
<chapter>
  <title>Chapter Heading</title>
    <verse sid=1/>v1<verse eid=1/>
    <verse sid=2/>v2<verse eid=2/>
    <verse sid=m/>vm<verse eid=m/>
    <verse sid=n/>vn<verse eid=n/>
    <verse sid=z/>vz<verse eid=z/>
</chapter>

We could also add paragraphs starting and ending

Last time I checked, osis2mod did not find a verse that started
immediately after a paragraph start.

If it did, what would it look like in a module (if the bug were fixed)?
Today, it would be something like (Showing a verse per line):
<title type="x-preverse">Chapter Heading</title>v1
v2
vm
vn
vxa</p><p>vxb
vz

I don't think that osis2mod preserves much content that stands between
verses.

If osis2mod is changed to handle such a construct, what would the module
look like?
Where would the <p> be located? How about the </p>? Might it be
something like:
v2
vm</p>
vxa</p><p>vxb
vz</p>

(One of the problems with synthetically adding type="x-preverse" is that
it may overwrite a currently existing attribute's value.)

Chris Little wrote:
> [...]
> chapter starts a new paragraph.
> 2) The markup of the NASB is vague and there is never any way to know
> the extent of paragraphs.
>
> In any event, we also know that every chapter of the KJV started a new
> chapter because the typesetters took the translators' instructions and
> put a section heading & dropcap at the beginning of each chapter to
> indicate this.
>
> --Chris
>

> Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>> My apologies for the bad timestamp on the previous send of this
>> message.  Fixed time and resending to help the flow.  And a good
>> opportunity to add one comment:
>>
>> Chris, I understand that you would not say "bag what the translators
>> wanted, just put a <p> marker at the top of each chapter."  It seems
>> we both think the translators (I do not hold the same regard for the
>> typesetters) meant something very specific, were not idiots, and we
>> should preserve their intent.
>>
>> We are of the same spirit.
>>
>>     -Troy.

>>> <quote who="me" recipient="Pike Lambeth; VP Ops; Lockman Foundation"
>>> date="October 14, 2003 5:23 PM">
>>> Version 2.0 of the OSIS (Open Scripture Information Standard) spec
>>> should be available any day, and I have been fighting for a few new
>>> mechanisms so that I might be able to completely encode your NASB
>>> data in the OSIS specification.
>>>
>>> I have a few questions where your comments might help me succeed in
>>> getting these tags added:
>>>
>>> 1) To quote your data from Matthew 8:34-9:2
>>>
>>> {{40:8}}34 And behold<MG2400>, the whole<MG3956> city<MG4172>
>>> came<MG1831> out to meet<MG5222> Jesus<MG2424>; and when they
>>> saw<MG3708> Him, <RA>they implored<MG3870> Him to leave<MG3327>
>>> their region<MG3725>.
>>> CHAPTER 9
>>> <SH>A Paralytic Healed
>>> {{40:9}}1 Getting<MG1684> into a boat<MG4143>, Jesus crossed<MG1276>
>>> over<MG1276> {the sea} and came<MG2064> to <RA>His own<MG2398>
>>> city<MG4172>.
>>> <PM>{{40:9}}2 <RA>And they brought<MG4374> to Him a
>>> <RB>paralytic<MG3885> lying<MG906> on a bed<MG2825b>. Seeing<MG3708>
>>> their faith<MG4102>, Jesus<MG2424> said<MG3004> to the
>>> paralytic<MG3885>, <RS>``<RC>Take<MG2293> courage<MG2293>,
>>> <N1>son<MG5043>; <RD>your sins<MG266> are forgiven<MG863>."<RT>
>>>
>>> There is a <PM> (paragraph break mark) after verse 1 in chapter 9. I
>>> would guess that this means that your editors disagreed with Jerome
>>> and think the paragraph ending Chapter 8 continues into the first
>>> verse of Chapter 9, which seems to me to be a fine conclusion. Can
>>> you confirm that 9:1 belongs with the paragraph at the end of 8? (or
>>> any similar case where the NASB does not feel that a new paragraph
>>> begins at each chapter mark).
>>> </quote>
>>>

>>> <quote who="Pike Lambeth; VP Ops; Lockman Foundation" recipient="me"
>>> date="October 17, 2003 4:22 PM">
>>> 1. Yes, our translators thought the new paragraph should be at verse
>>> 2.  I know there are more situations like this but I do not have a