[sword-devel] how to get strongs numbers from KJV2003 module?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 04:49:02 MST 2005

John Walther wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 08:10:51PM -0400, DM Smith wrote:
>
>> N-GSM keys into Robinsons module to give the part of speech.
>> Likewise for THxxxx. These are Thayer's numbers, but there is not a
>> Thayer's module yet.
>>
>> Strong's numbers are of the form:
>> lemma="x-Strongs:H03092" in the OT
>> and
>> lemma="x-Strongs:G3588" in the NT
>> Note that the numbers start with H for Hebrew and G for Greek.
>>
>> In other modules you may find:
>> lemma="strong:G4091"
>> (Troy has suggested that this be the form for all new modules.)
>

> Thanks DM, it does help a bit.  But I'm still lost.  I'm a really raw
> Sword newbie.  How can I take something like
>   robinson:N-GSM,x-Robinson:N-GSM,4
> and get the appropriate strongs number from it?

You can't. It is not a strongs number but a Greek morphology reference.
the N-GSM can be used as a key for lookup in the module robinson.

> Is there a library function I can use?  I tried looking at how diatheke
> did it, but it looks like the all the functionality is hidden away
> somewhere.
>
> And since x-StrongsMorph:TH8686 is not a Strong's number after all, how
> do I get the strong's number from it?  Is there a library function?

This also is not a Strongs number but a Hebrew morphology reference.
There is no Thayer's module.

For those of the form lemma="[x-Strongs|strong]:[GH][0-9]{1-5}" I think
you will need to parse the field yourself.
Also, the lemma can list more than one Strongs number. In this case they
are separated by a space, ' ' or a pipe, '|'.
According to Troy, a space is what should be used in the future.

If you are going to do a lookup, you use the G or H to determine which
module to use.
Then you take the number and 0 fill it to 5 characters and use that as a
lookup key.

> If someone can show me how diatheke is retrieving the strong's numbers,
> I'd be happy to trace the code back from there.

Unfortunately, I am not of much help here. I program JSword, not Sword.

By the way, what are you going to do once you get the Strong's number?