[sword-devel] how to get strongs numbers from KJV2003 module?

John Walther djw at reactor-core.org
Mon Oct 24 00:47:51 MST 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 08:10:51PM -0400, DM Smith wrote:
>N-GSM keys into Robinsons module to give the part of speech.
>Likewise for THxxxx. These are Thayer's numbers, but there is not a
>Thayer's module yet.
>
>Strong's numbers are of the form:
>lemma="x-Strongs:H03092" in the OT
>and
>lemma="x-Strongs:G3588" in the NT
>Note that the numbers start with H for Hebrew and G for Greek.
>
>In other modules you may find:
>lemma="strong:G4091"
>(Troy has suggested that this be the form for all new modules.)

Thanks DM, it does help a bit.  But I'm still lost.  I'm a really raw
Sword newbie.  How can I take something like
   robinson:N-GSM,x-Robinson:N-GSM,4
and get the appropriate strongs number from it?

Is there a library function I can use?  I tried looking at how diatheke
did it, but it looks like the all the functionality is hidden away
somewhere.

And since x-StrongsMorph:TH8686 is not a Strong's number after all, how
do I get the strong's number from it?  Is there a library function?

If someone can show me how diatheke is retrieving the strong's numbers,
I'd be happy to trace the code back from there.

God bless.

John

>>Hi.  When I run mod2osis I get nice strongs numbers for the old
>>testament, but when I get to the new testament, I get this sort of
>>thing:
>>
>>    lemma="robinson:N-GSM" morph="x-Robinson:N-GSM" src="4"
>>
>>Also, even in the Old Testament, I'm not sure what to do; how do I get
>>the strongs number from something like this:
>>
>>    lemma="strongMorph:TH8686" morph="x-StrongsMorph:TH8686"
>>
>>How do I turn those fields and arguments into actual strong's numbers?
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated.  I'm trying to add some Strong's type
>>capabilities to the command line "bible-kjv" program that comes with
>>Debian.
>>
>>John

          It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
     but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: John Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973
Website: http://reactor-core.org/
Puritan: Purity of faith, Purity of doctrine
Puritan: Sola Scriptura, Tota Scriptura

      Love is a sharp sword.  Hold it by the right end.