[sword-devel] Arabic Translation

See7a sameh.nabil at gmail.com
Mon May 30 14:49:38 MST 2005

Troy, All,

I started translating locale strings but I ran into some weired access
violation error. Please find attached the file ar.conf that contains
my translated strings.

The file ar.conf crashes immediately as soon as I select Arabic from
languages combo. I tried to shorten the entries in the file until it
works. the file ar_short.ar does not crash immediately; but it's not
really that stable too. after changing books and verses for about a
dozen times, it displays the same access violation message.

Is this related to something wrong in my file? I personally don't
think so, as the problem does not have a fixed scenario that causes it
to occur. Could it be a bug in SWORD or BibleCS ?

Thanks for your time,

P.S If you want to view the Arabic strings, I think you need to
install support for Arabic language. This will require you to install
support for Right to left languages as well. This is how I do it on
Win XP, for other Windows versions the steps should be similar.

On 5/7/05, See7a <sameh.nabil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Troy,
> Thanks for this work around. It surely made my life easier.
> I wanted to make another note about the Arabic strings in the UI:
> The Arabic characters do not appear correctly unless I select Arabic
> as the language for non Unicode programs from Control Panel -->
> Regional and Language Settings --> Advanced. I think this is not much
> to ask from users who want to use SWORD in Arabic, I just want to
> confirm if this is a normal behaviour.
> Sameh
> On 5/7/05, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> > Sameh,
> >         Great to hear you got it working!  Yes, we need to make a note of this.
> >   I believe someone else had this same problem a while back.  It turns
> > out that if you hit enter at the top of your locale (have at least 1
> > blank line at the top) everything will work fine.  The technical problem
> > is that our SWORD config object looks for lines which start with a '['
> > to determine the start of a new section.  When the MS editors add the
> > BOM character to hint that the file is Unicode UTF-8, the line no longer
> > starts with a '[' and the section is skipped.  We should really change
> > our config class to ignore these characters.  My apologies for not
> > remembering this problem!  Again, I'm glad you got things working.  I
> > expect a new BibleCS release sometime near and before Jun 15.
> >
> >         Excited to have your Arabic submissions!
> >
> >                 -Troy.
> >
> >

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ar_short.conf
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 694 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/attachments/20050531/54fdbd02/ar_short.obj
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ar.conf
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 4214 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/attachments/20050531/54fdbd02/ar.obj

More information about the sword-devel mailing list