[sword-devel] How do I encode osisRefs to lexicons?

Joachim Ansorg nospam+sword-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Wed Jun 8 11:06:47 MST 2005

Hi,
thank you (and Chris) for your replies.

> The osisRef can have an optional prefix followed by a colon. In your
> example it is MyLexName. If it is not present the OSIS manual says that
> it refers to the same work. So <reference osisRef="Eve">See
> Eve</reference> is proper.
>
> I understand that this also means that if we have references to
> something outside of the work that it needs to have the prefix as in
> <reference osisRef="Bible:Gen.1.1">See Genesis 1:1</reference>

Shouldn't the prefix refer to an OSISWork? Or is Bible defined for that. I
don't remember I read that in the OSIS manual. But I don't know that too
well.

If it refers to a work we probably need to define some Sword standard works
like Bible, Commentary to refer to the standard Bible or commentary. Or am I
wrong here?

Which raises the following question for me: How do I link from a Bible into a
lexicon? Or into a (default) commentary?

I'm confused, please help me :)

> Also, I am under the impression that in a proper OSIS document that
> every osisRef refers to something that is marked up with an osisID. In
> the case of new OSIS Bible modules the <verse> tag is present, but older
> ones it is implicit.

The 1.5.8 utils don't include verse tags but I think Troy gave his ok for
changes after 1.5.8.
I'd be glad to some Sword guidelines so frontend developers know what do do or
what to expect.
That brings up the question of start and end marker handling which are in
different verses.

Thanks,
Joachim
--