[sword-devel] Windows beta 1.5.8pre1

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 05:55:40 MST 2005

JSword is currently using Lucene to index the modules. We are planning
to pre-computed the indexes as well. In the jsword-devel archives you
will find threads on issues related to making the lucene index available
for download. JSword is planning to make downloadable indexes available.

 From what I remember here are a few:
1) Indexes will need to be versioned to track
        a) module changes -- If a module changes, then the index will
most likely be off. I say most likely because there are scenarios under
which it will still be correct. I think the risk of having a bad index
because it was not rebuilt is so high that the practice will be to
rebuild when the module changes.
        b) application changes -- Lucene gives a lot of flexibility as
to how an index is built and what is searchable, retrievable or stored
in it. Any change in that strategy probably will require a new index.
        c) lucene library changes -- An index may be upwardly
compatible, but not backwardly compatible. Because of this risk, I think
it will be necessary to build the indexes with each version of the
library that is currently being used. This probably will require a
policy of the previous version, the current version and the next
version, as used by Sword. (Or something like that)
2) The index built for sword is not usable by JSword and visa versa. At
this point we are not sure why this is. It could be that the c and java
versions of lucene don't build the same index for the same strategy or
it may be that Sword and JSword use different strategies in building the
index. In the earlier JSword threads, Sword was not considering having
downloadable indexes. Since it is being discussed, perhaps we should
collaborate on looking at and perhaps solving this issue.
3) The building of indexes is compute intensive. Building them on the
crosswire server will need to be done in a  manner so as to not disrupt
the services that crosswire provides.
4) We cannot presume our users have significant computing power. At
least we have users with old laptops who want to use JSword. They may be
limited by CPU Mhz, RAM and disk.

Chris Little wrote:

... stuff deleted