[sword-devel] Building under Windows

Lynn Allan l_d_allan at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 29 09:03:58 MST 2005

The nmake that comes with Microsoft tools isn't compatible with
standard make ... drat. There are enough differences that it is a
headache to convert.

VC6 (Visual Studio 98) can generate a .mak file compatible with nmake
for a Visual C++ project. This "might" work to be able to generate
something that the C++ 2003 toolkit can use to build sword.lib.

I have vc6 and can give this a try if you think it would help.

My impression is that the 2003 toolkit doesn't have an ide, and
doesn't support building apps with MFC, but that isn't an issue with
sword.lib. I believe there may be a WinDbg available, but I haven't
used it.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

The 2003 dot-net Standard Visual C++ compiler (for MFC, ATL, and
dot-net development with ide) is available for about $100. The
compiler that comes with the Standard package doesn't include the
optimizer, but it is straightforward to use the 2003 ToolKit's
optimizing compiler. (The Pro version with optimizer is closer to
$500+)