[sword-devel] InstallMgr limitation

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 15:16:18 MST 2005

We had a similar problem in JSword. The problem was that WinXP SP2's new
default firewall settings did not allow us to use FTP to do a listing,
but it allowed us to do a get.

Our solution was to switch to http and get the files as a whole zip or
tar.gz from http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword. We use
getContentLength to determine the size of the download.

While our immediate goal was to solve the firewall problem on XP, we got
similar reports from the Mac world. Also, some companies lock down ftp
so it cannot be used.

That said, the listing has some advantages:
1) It allows one to know the sizes of the files prior to downloading the
file.
2) It allows one to know the scope of the work (nt only, ot only, ot and
nt, apocrypha)

As to a common name, it is frequent to find a file with the name ls-lR
(often compressed as ls-lR.gz) on unix backed file systems that contains
a recursive long listing of the directory.

It would be very easy to create a cron job to create the files.