[sword-devel] MinGwin

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 04:07:29 MST 2005

Barry Drake wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>
>> I was able to get Sword API to compile under Cygwin, but it did not
>> build a dll, rather a sa (if I remember).
>

> The makefile isn't intended to build a dll - the libsword.la that is
> produced is a static library archive.  It is simply a bundle of all
> the .o (object) files.  You can use ar to extract them if you want.
> I haven't built the Sword library as a dll, but I would imagine
> Borland Builder 6 would be an easier way of doing that.
> Alternatively, Dev-C++ has a facility for making dll's that might be
> easier to use than the command line utilities.

My goal was to see if I could use Eclipse as a substitute for Borland.
Eclipse is a premier IDE (so much better than JBuilder [just teasing
Troy!]) for Java that is open source. So I wanted to see if its C++
support was good enough. It can use either Cygwin or MinGW to provide
GCC/GDB. I was looking for a solution that could avoid the command line.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about C++ cross platform makefiles to
know whether it even makes sense. It appears that the whole configure
thing to generate a Makefile is way too complicated given the defines
that Sword actually uses. But it looks like it is the standard way for
the C++ community.