[sword-devel] Need Greek Help on Diatheke

Costas Stergiou sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:41:17 +0300

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C42396.F7392340

Hi Tiza,
I can help with the Greek part here. The word 'diatheke' in (modern) =
Greek actually means either 'will' or 'covenant'. In Heb 9:16 the word =
'diathemenou' gives a picture of a will (as we know it in our days) =
since it referes to the one that made the will (and needs to die before =
the will gets fulfilled). This word clearly gives the picture of a will.

Actually, both words ('will' and 'covenant') have similar (or the same =
meaning) and in Heb 9:16 i think the language is used in such a way in =
order to give a picture from everyday life. But it does refer to the =
covenant/testament.=20

As reading the Greek, I cannot find any difference in the actual meaning =
of the text whether you translate the word as 'will' or 'covenant'. The =
idea behind the text seems the same. The example is brought up just to =
clarify the issue: the necessity of the death of Christ.
I am not a scholar, just Greek.
Hope this helps somehow,
In Christ,
Costas