[sword-devel] Need Greek Help on Diatheke

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:19:26 EDT

-------------------------------1082067566

Hello,

I need help on the word "diatheke" and "diatitihemia" in Hebew 9:16.  Does
anyone know Greek really well?

I found this written by someone named Keith, quote:  One recent example is
research I have done on Paul's use of diatheke in Gal 3.15-25 (please forgive my
poor transliterating I usually type in Greek). Recent commentaries have
surfaced the idea of a will or testament in favor of the traditional OT covenant
term for v. 15.  However, the word used for
ratify (kurow) is only found in Galatians and a few oxyrinchus fragments.
Predominantly, other language is used when diatheke means a will, unquote.

What I'm interested in is does "diatheke" mean "will" in this specific
chapter in Hebrews 9:16?  Or does it mean "covenant" like the Hebrew word "berith"?
The last part of Keith's sentence reads:  "Predominantly, other language is
used when diatheke means a will."

This is what I need to know.  Is this "other language" in Heb. 9:16 that
means a will?

Thanks,
Tiza

-------------------------------1082067566

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2737.800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Hello,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I need help on the word "diatheke" and "diatitihemia" in Hebew 9:16.&nb=
sp; Does anyone know Greek really well?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I found this written by someone named Keith, quote:&nbsp; One recent ex=
ample is research I have done on Paul's use of diatheke in Gal 3.15-25 (plea=
se forgive my poor transliterating I usually type in Greek). Recent commenta=
ries have surfaced the idea of a will or testament in favor of the tradition=
al OT covenant term for v. 15.&nbsp; However, the word used for<BR>ratify (k=
urow) is only found in Galatians and a few oxyrinchus fragments.<BR>Predomin=
antly, other language is used when diatheke means a will, unquote.<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What I'm interested in is does "diatheke" mean "will" in this specific=20=
chapter in Hebrews 9:16?&nbsp; Or does it mean "covenant" like the Hebrew wo=
rd "berith"?&nbsp; The last part of Keith's sentence reads:&nbsp; "Predomina=
ntly, other language is used when diatheke means a will."&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This is what I need to know.&nbsp; Is this "other language" in Heb. 9:1=
6 that means a will?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Tiza<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>