[sword-devel] Other religions?

Mete Kural sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:05:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Troy,

Thank you very much for your response. Please find my
questions inline below.

> CrossWire is not interested, itself, in supporting
> multi-faith study.

I understand. Although in my personal opinion it would
be good for CrossWire to encourage multi-faith study.
For example, those who are Christian could study
Jewish scriptures using SWORD such as the Tanakh and
those who are Jewish could study both their Tanakh and
the New Testament. Is the CrossWire organization
interested in directly supporting the Tanakh as part
of the core distribution? For those who are not
familiar with the term, Tanakh is a Jewish collection
consisting of the Torah (Pentateuch) along with
Kethuvim (The Writings) and Neviim (The Prophets).

I am personally interested in adding Tanakh and Quran
support to SWORD. I think it would be great if
CrossWire would consider putting support for the
Tanakh and the Quran into the core distribution.

> There is no need to modify the software to support
> this effort.
> The best way to do this would be to set up a
> separate repository of
> other texts.

That's great. I assume there is documentation on how
to do this on the website. God willing I will look it
up.

> There is already a Quran module available in the
> beta area:

http://crosswire.org/sword/ALPHAcckswwlkrfre22034820285912/mod.jsp

I browsed through the beta area but but couldn't find
the Quran module. My eyes might have missed it though.
Would you be able to send me a direct link to the page
please?

Also, is there a Tanakh module?

Thank you very much.

God bless,