[sword-devel] Fwd: AW: Sword Project

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:45:35 -0000

Dear Mr. Stradner,
Unfortunately (as far as I understand it) the way that software and
bible translations works is that even if you have bought the text for
one software program that gives you no rights at all to use it on any
others. At the moment we have no rights at all to distribute these
texts so they remain locked.

Also, see the last question in the copyright FAQ:
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/copyright/FAQ.jsp

However, since the "Translator's workplace" and "Paratext" software
already have the rights to distribute the text, one way for Wycliffe
people to have permission to use the texts in sword would if either
of them would like to distribute sword modules or unlock keys
themselves to people that already have the software.

There may be alternatives. I hope someone else can comment.

I'm really sorry it's not easier than this but it is the way these
things seem to work.

Blessings,
Daniel

P.S. If you can export the texts from these programs you can also
(depending on 'fair use' and copyright laws where you are) export the
text out of "Translator's workplace"/"Paratext" and create a sword
module for personal use only that should not be redistributed. We
have tools that will create a sword module from a plain text file in
a certain format.

On 30 Jan 2003 at 10:44, Martin Gruner sent forth the message: