[sword-devel] Fwd: AW: Sword Project

Patrick Narkinsky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:44:54 -0500

--Apple-Mail-24--934098799

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 06:45  AM, Daniel Glassey wrote:

> Unfortunately (as far as I understand it) the way that software and
> bible translations works is that even if you have bought the text for
> one software program that gives you no rights at all to use it on any
> others. At the moment we have no rights at all to distribute these
> texts so they remain locked.

That's probably debatable. In the Betamax case, the supremes ruled that
fair use did include "time shifting". More recently, a judge ruled
based on that case that MP3 players were legal -- that the user had the
right to transfer his music from one medium to another. This seems to
me to be a very similar issue, and I would certainly consider that I
had the right to transform my content from one Bible program to another
(even if I might NOT have the right, based on owning an NRSV, to use
another program's NRSV module. As we saw with the whole online Bible
mess, sometimes Bible modules are not what they are described as.)

Patrick

--Apple-Mail-24--934098799

<excerpt><fixed>Unfortunately (as far as I understand it) the way that
software and

bible translations works is that even if you have bought the text for

one software program that gives you no rights at all to use it on any

others. At the moment we have no rights at all to distribute these

texts so they remain locked.

</fixed></excerpt>