[sword-devel] Alternative to vpl

Mike R sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:44:41 -0600

On Thursday 06 February 2003 06:56 am, Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi Mike ........
>
> On 6 Feb 2003 at 6:27, Mike R wrote:
> > I've been trying to make modules lately, and been using vpl
> > (verse-per-line) files to do so.  Now I want to make a module of the
> > Message
> > translation/paraphrase of the Bible
>
> vpl will only work if you have the EXACT versification that the KJV uses.
> I don't think the Message bible works like that.  I will volunteer to do
> this one for you if you have 'The Message' in some kind of text format.  I
> think the only way to do it will be using some scripting or programming.
> If you can do that (C or Perl) I'll advise - otherwise send me the source
> text (as a zip-file) and I'll build a module for you.  It will have to be a
> locked module on our website as 'The Message' is copyright, but you'll be
> entitled to a cipher key for test purposes.
>
> God bless,
> Barry
>
> -- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Arnold and the Netherfield
> United Reformed Churches, Nottingham see http://www.arnold-urc.supanet.com
> and http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church homepages).
>
> Replies - b.drake@ntlworld.com

Hey Barry.  Thanks a bunch for the reply.

No, the message bible doesn't have exact verse numbers.  I don't know Perl,
but I know some elementary C++ (I'm proficient on PHP, a web language, and
the syntax is very simliar.  I'd have to brush up on some of the C functions
(correct termonology? lol) but it shouldn't be a problem).  I don't have a
digital copy of the Message; I was just gonna type up the Gospels and some of
the NT books, but I wanted to see if there were certain tags I had to use
before I did all that work, hehe.  At the moment I'm not even sure how SWORD
works; I just haven't looked at it that closely; but I have managed to create
a NRSV module from a vpl file.  Oh, BTW, what are the legalities on this sort
of thing?  I own at least 5 copies of the NRSV, so I would assume that
creating a digital copy for personal use falls within fair use?  Lemme know,
hehe.

Thanks a lot,
-Mike
<><