[sword-devel] (Fwd) RE: CEV

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:41:11 +0100

Good news ;)
Just a couple of things to add.

But first, this is not meant to be a troll, so if you want to reply to this in a flameful way to
what I say for further down please just reply to me privately or wait until the celebration
of the release of 1.5.4 is over ;)

The ABS are major participants in the OSIS initiative (XML format for scripture and
associated works) that Troy is involved in, and like 1.5.4 is due for a public release any
day. I don't know if they are planning to make an OSIS version of the CEV/Good News
themselves but this might be a good testbed for module creation/conversion tools for
sword<->OSIS.

The other thing is a request for prayer wrt to the terms and conditions. I would be
surprised if they didn't have some kind of 'no modification allowed' clause, or restricted
copying or restricted printing. The advantage of Open Source is a potential disadvantage
in this case. There is very little or nothing that can be done to stop people doing what they
like with the text. Oh, and we'd probably have to stop diatheke etc. from using the module.

The most that I can think of that we can offer is to do what they want in the 'official'
sword software and distribute a licence with it that says it can't be redistributed and can
legally be used with 'official' software that conforms to their license terms - basically we
would want something that puts the onus on policing copyright infringement on them.

If we can come to an agreement with ABS that works for them as a bible society and us as
free/open software developers/users then this might open the floodgates for allowing us
to distribute/sell/buy texts from a lot of other bible societies.

Even if these concerns aren't relevant in this case with the CEV/GNB,  we have a support
request to distribute bibles in Indian languages that have the same issue. So if anyone has
_constructive_ ideas, they'd be much appeciated.

Regards,
Daniel

P.S. Many thanks for this Barry.

On 5 Sep 2002 at 22:24, Barry Drake sent forth the message: