[sword-devel] .conf lang tags

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:53:34 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Martin Gruner wrote:

> what you describe is certainly possible, but not satisfying. Besides the fact
> that I'm not sure how much work parsing the unicode range would be (icu?) for
> each single key, there are languages which operate in the same unicode range
> but the user might want to set different fonts for them.

A good example of this is Greek/Coptic, which (currently) use the same
codepoint range, but need different fonts.  There's a Coptic codepoint
range, separate from Greek, that is in the process of being accepted, so
this won't be an issue forever.  I can't really think of another example
where this is the case.

The example Victor gave, of a user wanting different fonts for German and
English, isn't a very good one since both are in Latin-1 and in the same
script.  But it might be useful to provide a mechanism for rendering
different scripts in different fonts (e.g. an English text with Greek
words, like RWP).  For this, however, you don't need any information other
than that held in the codepoint value itself (since they all map to a
single script in Unicode).

--Chris