[sword-devel] newbie problem making a module

fred smith sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:04:37 -0400

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 07:22:25PM -0700, Chris Little wrote:

> > I ended up using the long names shown in canon.h, and got it to work once
> > I spelled Corinthians, not Cornithians. But the error message sure is
> > non-helpful.
>
> It's hard to suggest that there is a better system than what we have
> presently for dealing with this problem.

I think the other posting suggesting a helpful error message and
a termination of processing makes a lot of sense.

> The verse parser takes whatever has been identified as the verse and
> tries to figure out which verse is the closest match.  If you give a
> partial book name (or abbreviation), it will probably figure out the
> correct book that you meant.  If you misspell something, as you have
> noticed, it reverts to the default verse (Gen 1:1 for vpl2mod).  This is
> another good argument for using abbreviations since fewer letters equal
> fewer opportunities for misspelling. :)

Yes, that's true. But it's not obvious that the parser is flexible
enough to handle abbreviated names. Maybe if one dug thru the code, but
not by reading the docs. The docs don't say with any great precision how
the names should be represented, so the newbie (me! :^) is left to
guess or figure it out. Using mod2vpl shows the long names, so since
the docs suggest using mod2vpl to see how to format the new module text,
it appears that long book names are the right way to do it. If vpl2mod
also works with short names, that's great. I'd be happy to offer some
small enhancements to the docs on creating a module but not sure I
learned enough to be able to really offer much worthwhile.

> Maybe we should just add printing of the verse reference itself (before
> it has been parsed) along with the warning that the verse is being
> overwritten.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding