[sword-devel] Copyrights and cash

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:54:13 +0200

> Secondly, I was thinking that instead of making it free I was thinking of
> disabling copy and paste features on locked modules.  I think it might be a
> good proposal of providing a free translation while restricting copying.
>
> Copyright laws all allow for fair use (which means anyone can (with
> permission) create a module that only displays a maximum of say a chapter
> of a book, for example.  I say why not disallow the user the ability to
> copy and paste...and encyrpt the locked module.  I mean how many websites
> offer the boos copyrighted.  anyone can, with enough time, copy the entire
> bible that they have made online.

It is impossible to prevent users from extracting data from sword modules, and
it is not sensible to have a copy&paste lock -- anyone  can change the
sourcecode to disable this.
At last, we write OS software, and I hope this stays so.

My view on the issue is: let us first concentrate on the stuff that is
available for free -- esp. NON-ENGLISH and NON-LATIN (script) content. That
is the best way for us right now to serve _many_ people. Publishers will come
to us once this thing grows.

Martin