[sword-devel] Searching and copyrights.

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:57:30 +0100

just another couple of things to throw in:

it generally says in any license that you get with software like this that the license does not
allow you to reverse engineer it.

This stuff means afaict that you cannot legally write an importer using information gained
from looking at the data of these programs.

Things like STEP and OSIS are a different matter since they have been/will be published,
but a legal importer will not be written for any of these other programs - otoh if you can
export text from these programs you can create your own personal, not for redistribution,
module from it (assuming that is covered by fair use - ianal).

To summarise, it is extremely unlikely that sword will support reading or converting the
formats of other programs - unless they give their permission.

Regards,

On 16 Jul 2002 at 8:21, Daniel Adams - infoChi sent forth the message: