[sword-devel] NIV electronic licencing

Jeremy Cowgar sword-devel@crosswire.org
09 Jul 2002 13:45:20 -0400

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 11:29, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> I agree 100%, but I'm not sure what version would be the replacement.
> The NIV and NASB are very good, the KJV is pretty poor by today's standards.

Their will never be a replacement for commercially distributed versions.
Marketing is key, and money is required for marketing. However, their is
the World English Version (http://www.ebible.org), The NET Bible (not
public domain but free, even to reproduce (some stipulations apply))
(http://www.netbible.org), also older versions such as ASV, Darby,
Webster, etc...

*I* think (others may not) that the Bible should be translated by a team
of translators, and all costs counted. The text can be kept owner of who
created the translation and licensing fees paid, but once the company
has made back it's invested money, release the text into the public
domain. That would be great. Solves both issues, but what company wants
to be the first to do that?

Maybe their should be an open source Bible :)

Jeremy