[sword-devel] <compressed> Sword Modules -> RISC OS

W. Simpson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:50:18 -0000

Hi,

>> Like I said, I can't port anything. Whether or not I can solicit someone
>> do the work is another matter. One particular objection I see is that
>> RISC OS prides itself on its own distinctive style, expecting very
different
>> desktop behaviour from its programs than that of something built for
>> windows. I can't see Sword working acceptably in a RISC OS environment,
>> (though I know very little about porting anything to anywhere).

>Sword itself is just a library.  Once you have that compiled, you could
>just call it and write whatever exporter or viewer you like.

I see.

>> Hmmm, I was hoping there might be some relatively simple decompression
>> algorithm I could apply to each file.

>They are compressed in a simple decompression algorithm, namely zip.  But
>it isn't simply zipped as a whole, we compress blocks (chapters or books)
>and place them in a file, then index the location in a second file.

Which would account for why the RSV appears encrypted having been
extracted from its ZIP file, and contains more files than the KJV module.

RSV:

  nt.bzs
  nt.bzc
  nt
  ot.bzs
  ot.bzv
  ot
  rsv.sgm

Yes, I see what you mean. It isn't a perfectly straightforward decompression
of each file. All the same, if anyone is willing to attach the relevant
pieces of source code to an e-mail for me (or someone else) to examine now
or in the future, with any other useful remarks, I would be grateful.

Thank you all once again :-)

Shalom,

W.Simpson
www.logosword.co.uk