[sword-devel] Paul's epistles

Chris sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:24:06 +1100

Chris Little wrote:

>>I see that the default for Sword is that "Paul's Epistles"
>>includes Hebrews. Does anybody seriously believe that Hebrews
>>is by Paul?
>>

>We also call the books of the Pentateuch 1-5 Moses respectively in many
>of our localized book names.  Does anybody seriously believe that the
>Pentateuch was written by Moses and is not an amalgam of four major
>sources?

That sounds like a whole more complex argument.
Whereas it seems to me Hebrews tells explicitely it was NOT Paul. (2:3),
indicates that the author had
neither been with Jesus during his earthly ministry nor received special
revelation directly from the risen Lord, as had Paul (Gal 1:11-12).

>My point is that scholarship challenges many traditional notions of
>Biblical authorship.  At one point, Pauline authorship of Hebrews was
>the prevailing view.

And prior to it becoming a prevailing view, it was not the prevailing view.

>Modern Bibles don't typically group Hebrews with the
>catholic epistles either, so we might as well group it with the Pauline.

I don't see that you must group it just for the sake of grouping it.