[sword-devel] Maps, etc

Lamar Owen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:34:36 -0500

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 14:04, Martin Gruner wrote:
> > So I guess I'll end up doing it then eventually. I'm wondering though how
> > much of this should be left up to front ends and how much should be
> > handled at the library level.

> We should probably look at existing solutions. Does Logos have a system
> like this? Maybe there is some opensource project that we could use for
> this purpose?

There are a number of mapping packages out there, with various levels of
complexity.  See the www.freegis.org site for links to many mapping software
packages.  I use a couple of mapping packages here -- GRASS, and GMT.  GRASS
is overkill for simple maps, though -- it is a full-scale Geographic
Information System.  GMT might be a good fit, and produces PostScript output.
It can do various projections, zooms, scales, rotations, colorings, etc.,
given relatively simple vector and raster format files.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio