[sword-devel] Maps, etc

Patrick Narkinsky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:11:19 -0500

Thus spake "Lamar Owen"> :

> There are a number of mapping packages out there, with various levels of
> complexity.  See the www.freegis.org site for links to many mapping software
> packages.  I use a couple of mapping packages here -- GRASS, and GMT.  GRASS
> is overkill for simple maps, though -- it is a full-scale Geographic
> Information System.  GMT might be a good fit, and produces PostScript output.
> It can do various projections, zooms, scales, rotations, colorings, etc.,
> given relatively simple vector and raster format files.

I guess I still see this as a major scholarly undertaking.  In many cases,
the locations of various towns are matters of conjecture, not fact. (e.g.
Jericho.)  Then, you've got to account for the way Palestine looked at
various times.  I suppose you could get a good Biblical atlas and see where
they put the towns, then put them in the same place on your map, but just
having a modern map is not enough.

Patrick

--
Patrick Narkinsky - Apprentice Pastor, Hope Community Church

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons
exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Chesterton