[sword-devel] sword license questions

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:49:41 -0700

At 03:17 PM 4/1/2002 -0700, Nathan wrote:
>If I understand correctly, GPL allows me to do what I want with the client
>I'm writing - I can Copyright it to myself, keep my source to myself, and
>even commercialize it. But if I modify the API, I need to submit those
>changes back. Or am I thinking LGPL or something? I'd like to get this
>cleared up, not that I necessarily intend to commercialize my client or
>anything :-)

As I understand it: One thing you can not do, is use GPL works to make
proprietary versions or proprietary derivative works. One thing you must do
is provide or make available the source code. These would apply even if you
used only a portion of the GPL code, modified or unmodified. But, you can
charge as much as you want for GPL works produced by you or anyone.

Jerry