[sword-devel] sword license questions

Nathan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:17:37 -0700

My Look up app for OS X certainly isn't ready for public consumption.
Part of that is getting the right license information and stuff
bundled with the program.

If I understand correctly, GPL allows me to do what I want with the
client I'm writing - I can Copyright it to myself, keep my source to
myself, and even commercialize it. But if I modify the API, I need to
submit those changes back. Or am I thinking LGPL or something? I'd
like to get this cleared up, not that I necessarily intend to
commercialize my client or anything :-).

The only value I can see in a commercial client would be if it came
with some of the locked texts, and the sale could pay the licenses so
that could happen. Reselling the actual texts makes sense to me, but
I'm not sure how well that would go over.

Btw, if anyone would like the Lookup source code, I have a small .sit
file with the Project Builder project and such, but it requires
libsword.a and the include/ folder from Sword API 1.5.3. At this time
I'm not really interested in splitting up coding of the client itself
(and the management that comes with that), but code reviews and
bug/patch submissions are certainly welcome.

Also, is there a list of people working on this project somewhere?
Translations, graphics and all that stuff will be necessary at some
point.

- n8

--
Nathan Youngman