[sword-devel] sword license questions

Nathan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:27:05 -0700

Ahh... okay. I was thinking of LGPL (Lesser GPL), which from looking
at the Sword license page, it clearly is not. So basically I have to
GPL my client if I use the Sword API. I don't really have a problem
with releasing my source code, I just need to get the right license
information with the program.

Now the Copyright statement could be to Crosswire, or it could be to
me for the client and Crosswire for the Sword API. Or it could be
copyleft I suppose... :)

Its good that selling the client (with licensed materials) is still
possible. Though by GPLing my client, aren't I also saying that
anyone else can sell the client as well? Hm.

GPL is a big long license, I haven't actually taken the time to read
the whole thing, I prefer something simple like the zlib license. But
I guess I should look over it sometime.

>At 03:17 PM 4/1/2002 -0700, Nathan wrote:
>As I understand it: One thing you can not do, is use GPL works to
>make proprietary versions or proprietary derivative works. One thing
>you must do is provide or make available the source code. These
>would apply even if you used only a portion of the GPL code,
>modified or unmodified. But, you can charge as much as you want for
>GPL works produced by you or anyone.

Nathan Youngman
E-mail: nathany at mac.com
Web: http://nathany.com