[sword-devel] suggestion

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:44:02 -0700

We use the, fairly standard, stable/development branch versioning scheme
where versions with even numbers are stable, versions with odd numbers
are development.

We're in a development branch right now (1.5).  1.5.2 is just a bump in
the road in the way to 1.6.0.  I think a 1.5.3 is also planned, but
might get scrapped if everything gets stabilized and we can just push
1.6.0 out the door.  When 1.6.0 is out, we start handling just bug
fixes--no new functionality.  New functionality happens in the 1.7
branch, which we could branch as soon as 1.6.0 is released.  We're
technically also in the 1.4.0 branch right now, if we wanted to release
bug fixes for the stable release.  1.7 is the development branch that
will lead to either 1.8 or 2.0, depending on whether Troy wants to do
all the API restructuring during 1.7 or wait until a 1.9.

I think the things remaining on the todo-list before 1.6.0 is ready are
completed STEP drivers and compression support for dictionaries, plus
any other _small_ items that creep up.

The reason to wait before splitting the front-ends out is that that task
qualifies as restructuring, which is a 1.7 task.  We're trying to
complete the 1.5 branch as quickly as possible to move on to this kind
of stuff.