[sword-devel] Unicode font (Arial Unicode MS)

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:16:38 -0700

At 03:26 PM 6/17/2001 +0200, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
>Hello David!
>
>Are you emplyoed by Adobe?

Yes.

>  Some time ago I downloaded an unicode font from
>Adobe, this font worked very well with the chinese CHIGU module.

I believe they have several fonts that compose of glyphs for the entire
Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP) as defined by the Unicode standard (probably
version 3.0).

Unicode 3.1 and the three new Asian encodings it supports with extensions
in additional Planes poses some new technical challenges because there are
no font standards in place (yet) that have more than 256 or 65536 character
positions possible.  So far there are only 1 byte and 2 byte standards as
far as fonts go.

>Do you think it's possible that Adobe sponsors a complete or nearly complete
>Unicode font for Crosswire?
>Maybe we (Troy :) could print something like "Kindly sponsored by Adobe!" on
>the CDs?

I know Adobe's policy about philanthropy is that religious organizations of
any kind don't qualify (I've tried and it was easier to just donate myself
for the same end result), but I can certainly check with the type and legal
depts and see what our options are.  They do these kinds of licences all
the time for other things so it seems logical that it shouldn't matter if
SWORD is open source or not.  I do know that Adobe stays in business with
(and therefore my paychecks come from) royalties for these kinds of things,
but I can check if it's possible that any royalty could either be waived in
exchange for acknowledgement as you suggest, or at least be paid by an
individual or organization in one lump sum not per copy distributed, or
perhaps there's some other way.  If they wanted royalties and we (Troy ;)
determined this was the best route, I'd be willing to personally contribute
to the fund.  Ideally there's at least one font that will not require any
royalty, but I don't know yet for sure if there is one...

>Joachim

Dave