[sword-devel] New Web Site

John Gardner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:09:47 -0700

I am in full agreement with the response.  Timothy was exhorted to rightly
divide the word of truth.  In order to do that he had to use discernment.
Paul also frequently uses the terminology of "sound doctrine".  What is
sound and unsound?  It is assumed that believers could know the difference.
We cannot just say we believe God and we believe the Bible.  Many use the
terminology of "faith" but mean different things.  The gospel (and therefore
eternal life) itself hinges on what is meant by faith in Christ.

I argue the assertion "Every time the church has fallen out ... because it
has tried to put in writing what it believes"  What is meant by "fallen
out"?  There may be a falling out over important doctrine but that is to be
expected.  Paul states that there *must* be divisions among you so that
truth can be known from error.  Now if the author was referring to general
spiritual declension and apostacy, I would beg that author prove this
objectively with historical information - showing spiritual decline after
confessions or creeds were drafted.  Even in Acts the apostles met together
to decide what was surely believed regarding gentile Christians.  The result
of the letter was much comfort - the Church was strengthened.

-John